Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"As a Dog Returns to Its Vomit,...

so fools repeat their folly." -Proverbs 26:11-

This verse stood out to me yesterday as I was driving home. It just sort of popped into my head and I think the Lord is trying to tell me something. So many times I find myself being complacent and lazy, especially when it comes to matters of the spirit. One cannot give of themselves unless their cup is overflowing. It is from the overflow that we are able to give to others. My cup may have a few drops in it.

I recently read a blog from a dear friend of mine. She spoke of the persecuted church and how they are ready, in fact they expect, to forfeit their lives for the gospel. Not only are these people ready and willing to give up their lives, they keep their cups filled in abundance. They realize that their very life depends on God, not only for spiritual nourishment but physical as well.

Why don't these phrases of truth impact me? Why am I not motivated by these realities to change my own present? Do I limit God's work in my life due to my stubbornness and refusal to obey His words and creeds? Yes, I do. And it is caused by complacency and outright disobedience.

This past Sunday I was in Sunday School and our class discussed a little about repentance. To repent means to ask for forgiveness and NOT continue to sin. And yet just like a dog I return to my vomit and thus get caught back up in the cycle of sin that I "allow" to have a foundation in my life. I use the word "allow" to convey that I have a choice in the matter. As a follower and believer of Christ Jesus, I have certain responsibilities to uphold. Any time that I shirk my duties in any area of my life, I am making a conscience choice to live in rebellion in accordance to His wishes for my well-being. And by not making a choice, I have made the choice to neglect my responsibility for whatever action I have bequeathed.

Examples of neglecting my responsibility include (but are not limited to) the following:
1. I choose to not read my Bible
2. I choose to not pray or spend any time talking to God
3. I choose to indulge in sin, rather than turn away from it.

And you want to know a big consequence of not doing any of these three things? I get fat. That's right, I gain weight and don't take care of my temple. So you want to know a secret to weight loss, read your Bible and pray. Because I will then understand how much God loves me and how He wants me to further His kingdom. I can't do that if I am out of breath and easily worn out due to my lack of caring for the body He has given me.

There are other consequences besides this one. When sin is not dealt with it can cause havoc in other areas such as being complacent with my duties and responsibilities. I have also noticed that I become easily emotion-driven rather than spirit-driven. I have experienced first hand what it means to see someone's life that is driven by pure emotion. I did it for a spell and I was a hot mess. Because this not only affects me, it affects the other people that are around me. So if there is anything that I can get across with this blog let it be this: Do not be emotion-driven and do not be like the dog that returns to its own vomit. No one likes a stinky/rabid dog.

To my readers, I am sorry I have not written this month. I apologize profusely. Be blessed this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment